You’ve likely heard about the new “Twitter dupe” called Threads, an Instagram App. This launched on July 5th, 2023, and is sweeping the online world. But what is it all about, and do you really need to join?
So, if you’re like most in the online world – whether you are a blogger or an influencer – you may be thinking about joining too.
As someone who preaches loudly and often that you don’t need social media to be successful as a blogger, here are my thoughts and experiences.
What You Need to Know About Threads
Before you join up, there are a few things you need to know! Here’s a breakdown of the crucial points.
1. Threads and Instagram are FOREVER Linked
This may seem obvious, but it wasn’t to a lot of people.
If you join Threads and attach it to your Instagram profile (which it defaults to), then you will not be able to delete your Threads account without deleting your Instagram account as well. This is very sneaky and something I didn’t realize until after I had already connected them (of course).
2. Threads is Still New, even if it’s “like” Twitter
Even if you are familiar with Twitter, Threads is still a new app, and as a result, it functions differently.
For example, there are no hashtags, the search function is basically non-existent, and your feed is likely to be filled with people you don’t follow.
There are also likely to be a lot of bugs and quirks to be worked out before it functions well.
3. People are Fatigued with Social Media
Count me in on this one… but we have so. many. social media apps right now, it’s insane.
I can see that people are overwhelmed with the idea of adding another social media platform to their rotation, in fact, many of the posts on Threads right now are saying that very thing!
4. You Don’t Actually Need it
Last, but not least, you don’t actually need social media at all if you have a blog and an email list.
It’s just NOT needed. I made over $20,000 last month and have about 1% of my total traffic coming from social media.
Sure, I post reels to Instagram from time to time for fun, and YouTube gets a video very occasionally… but it’s not adding to my bottom line.
Planning to Join Threads? Here’s How It Works!
If after all that, you still want to see what all the fuss (and fun) are about, here’s how Threads is actually functioning!
- Characters – There is a 500 character limit per post
- Videos – You can post up to 5 minutes of video content per post
- Captions – The audio is difficult to toggle on, so be sure to include captions on your videos
- Post to Instagram – You can add your Threads to your Instagram Stories or Posts by hitting the paper plane icon (share icon)
- Threads Number – Your Threads number is automatically added to your Instagram profile when you join (and link accounts) so that people can easily find you by clicking the number. You can hide this number if you want.
Want More Tried and True Methods for Growth?
If you’re like me and you don’t rely on the whims of social media, you might enjoy these ways to grow your blog (and income) without any social media at all.